A common procedure pertaining to basic health and safety training is implemented across all of the Group’s facilities so that a uniform safety culture can be applied in all of the industrial complexes.
The training of the Group’s personnel is multifaceted and includes the following topics:
- Fire safety - use of fire extinguishing equipment, rescue techniques from heights and confined spaces.
- First aid (how to treat burns).
- Use of personal protective equipment (respirators, masks, etc).
- Presentations concerning international incidents and accidents (causes/ conclusions).
- Periodic reviews (refreshing important safety and emergency procedures).
- Participation in drills.
- The distribution of the monthly CCPS Process Safety bulletin (Beacon) to all employees. The Group is the official translator of the CCPS bulletin into the Greek language.
2014 was yet another year of strengthening education, in amongst other areas, in the area of safety with the objective of continuously developing the skills and expertise of the Group's employees which is a key prerequisite for sustainable growth and competitiveness.
Employees’ training needs are evaluated by their immediate supervisor in the context of their annual performance evaluation after which the implementation of actions to meet the needs identified is planned.
Asides from employees, training is also provided to contractors, clients, truck drivers, service station owners and students. Visitors to the facilities are informed on the facilities’ safety instructions through printed material.
Specifically with regard to contractors, training is based on extensive educational material which HELLENIC PETROLEUM provides to the contracting companies.
The trained contractors’ employees must successfully pass written exams in order to be granted an access card to enter the premises for work.
Table 3.9 Health & Safety Training man-hours per facility & gender
||ΕΚΟ & HF
|No of employees (Male/Female)
|No of trained employees (M/F)
|Training manhours (M/F)
|No of trained contractors & others (M/F)
|Training manhours for contractors & others
Coordinated Fire Drills, in collaboration with the Fire Department and relevant authorities, were successfully conducted at all of the Group’s industrial complexes, in specific extreme scenarios.
Indicative scenarios included:
- Tackling a fire incident on the roof ring of a petrol tank and rescue at the Thessaloniki Refinery
- Remediation of extensive leakage during the unloading of an LPG tanker at the Elefsina port facilities
- Evacuation drills in buildings and facilities in an emergency